Monday, June 4, 2007

Rainy Days

"Insatiable Corporate Raider" (NYC)
Ok lots of stuff goin on in the city this weekend – I will leave it to the Hushed Existentialist to recap the majority of our journey but here is where I will begin. Its rainy today so my mood is reflective of the dark wetness outside…this is the first time I’m wearing jeans and kicks in a minute but I couldn’t pull off much of anything else with this weather so I am rocking the Black KSwiss and a black button down. No picture needed...
Anyhow the weekend began with margarita’s at BBQ’s ($6 TEXAS size Margarita’s) then BINGO on National Bingo Night (we won nothing although came close) and my niece’s bday on Friday (she’s 18!).

(BBQ Frozen Margarita overlooking Times Square)

On Saturday, Hushed came into town and we began the day at Nook (amazing as always!). Then we stopped at a block long garage sale in my neighborhood on West 44th St. btwen 9th/10th ave in Hell’s Kitchen. This is where I will pause and elaborate. I have desperately wanted new furniture.

You see, in college we had the dorm raided furniture and free sidewalk finds that Hushed and I furnished our off campus apt with (midnight moving at its best!) then we graduated and therefore we semi-graduated from the dorm look of furnishings. After a brief 8 month stint on my brothers couch when I first moved to NYC, my bro and I then moved into a 2 br. in the city where we decided for a uniform modern look but still within reason and so we turned where most budget furnishers in the city turn, Ikea. Pictured below is the coffee table I still have that my bro found in the trash and then became the inspiration for all other Ikea purchased furniture. This worked for a few years until my brother moved on and I moved into my own place. I’ve used the Ikea furnishings for the last year now well because frankly NYC ain’t cheap and that broker’s fee and renting costs to get into my new crib set me back a bit.

But, now since I can not afford to move into a luxury apartment I want to at least feel luxurious with what I bring in to my place. I want real wood! I want unique pieces! I want pieces I would want to carry with me through life! And so it begins, craiglistin, online shopping, and garage sale-ing it up (cause we are still on a budget) looking for just what I want. Problem is I want all types of different things and different looks!

I digress….Now, I really wanted to participate in the garage sale but that didn’t happen so I shopped it instead. Hushed bought some oils, El Jefe accompanied us and then I got sideswiped by what were my favorite toys growing up – boxes! We met “The Box Man” from Allentown, PA who makes a sh*tload of money by buying up old factory soda crates and liquor crates, refinishing them and then selling the new piece of work at flea markets and sales. Some may call it crap I call it a piece of our industrial history and I will even go there and call it art. He truly makes a living out of what he loves. And I couldn’t resist. After a long moratorium of indecision I went for it with the encouragement of my 2 cohorts. I started with a large coffee table type trunk that was complete with nail indentations and a brushed red coat of paint. I got that for $50 (even those it was priced at $65 and at an antique shop woulda ran upwards of $100). Then El Jefe said, well a nice compliment would be a little box – and I had my eye on this Dewar’s White Label Whiskey liquor crate with a guy in a kilt and red writing that was from 1961 I believe (the actual ship date was still imprinted). This, as Hushed exclaimed at the time, would make a great box for hanging files. So I contemplated this purchase a while testing out the box next to the red one, with other little ones etc. Pondering so long in fact that we got into a great conversation with the box man and before I knew it he gave me all 3 boxes for $80!!!! The best thing about all these boxes is the storage component! In NYC space in itself is a luxury so extra storage is always a great find! I fit my guest comforter and sheets int the new coffee table already!
So here are some pics:

the array of boxes...


Red Trunkish Box = $50 (orig. $65)
Dewars Liqour crate turned Box = $20 (orig. $45)
Small Dark Brown Box = $10 (orig. $25)


Getting to work!

Upon returning home, after many compliments from passers by as we toted the boxes home, Hushed helped me then stain the 2 shelves I bought recently to match my new wooden boxes. Satisfied with my purchases, the journey a la Lord of the Rings began as we trekked out to Brooklyn to chill at Media Masta Killah’s (there are some great pics of this that I hope Hushed uploads). Nevertheless we made it back to the city late night and just before the rain began but not after much travail. I will let Hushed elaborate…this is enough from me for now.

"Hushed Existentialist"

The Odyssey: Beginning from midtown Manhattan and ending in Prospect Park Brooklyn, starving all the way, in search of food, drink and dessert.... Shot down by one restauranteur, taken the long way by a "cabbie", making a plan to egg the first place, ordering everything on the menu from the second place..... Baking cookies, drinking half-assed margaritas with full-on Patron, listening to loud tunes in an echo-y apartment.... Trying on Dresses:



.... laughing hysterically to the point of muscle strain... inhaling food and drink and cookies..... watching a crazy documentary about Tragedy aka Tracy Chapman.... Trekking for miles in every direction and finally home.

NYC WAS A BLAST (oh, but I'm allergic to BK)



I'm a little loopy after a 5 hour busride. Whew, what a trip.... Me and my Umberella.... ella.... ella.... eh, eh, eh....

No comments: