Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sugar Highs and Lows

"Hushed Existentialist"

This morning I woke up early, once again, with a smile on my face. I knew it was going to be 90 degrees outside and I was ready for it. Baby pink was my muse, as I really wanted to pair these supercute and reminiscent of my childhood ballet flats with my new brown linen gauchos. I guess I am going through a nostalgic phase for all things that remind me of my little self....

Baby Pink Super Long Tank from Old Navy: $1.99
White V-Neck Flutter Sleeved Top from Ann Taylor Loft: $14.99
Chocolate Brown Linen Gauchos from Ann Taylor Loft: $14.99
Pink Ballet Slippers by Fioni for Payless: $7.50
Same 2 Beadazzled Bracelets: $17
Same Pink Shell Earrings from The Corporate Raider: gift



"Eating through lunch" constitutes a chicken salad sub from the cafeteria next door, plus LOTS of great conversation and, of course, snacks:



My newest obsession is the cinnamon goldfish, but they only come in variety packs!! I would eat a whole lot more of these if they came in full size packages....

"Insatiable Corporate Raider"
OK today I have been in ALL DAY meetings – and I mean ALL DAY as in this is the first time I am on my computer for the day with the exception of the powerpoint presentation I had to give. You would think I would be all suited up today with clients in town but as I saw them last night for dinner and because they are rather cool I opted for “business casual.” Speaking of dinner….it was pretty amazing. We went to Uncle Jack's which while in the shady area west of Penn Station turned out to be quite lovely. It’s a bit on the noisy side as the front walls are open to the street and the dinner tables are right near the bar, but definitely delicious.
We started with a toast of yummy champagne then quickly moved to the appetizer which was a tables worth of Seafood. Shrimp cocktail, Lobster tails and claws, and a whole bed of pure lump crab meat. I LOVE SEAFOOD like this and have been CRAVING it. Nothing like cracking a shell to the wonderful splendor beneath! If only I had a lil thing of melted butter to dip into it woulda been off the chain truly.
Then for the entrée as there were 5 of us and this place is known for their Steak (specializing in Kobe Beef upwards of $100) one of us still opted to go for the Sea Bass which turned out to be delightful. The remaining 4 of us split a 48 oz. Porterhouse which was quite the treat. They pre-cut this and then can cook to your liking which surprised us since we were all sharing one piece of massive meat. The juices in the steak were mouth watering and the meat simply cooked to perfection. This was a LOT of meat even between 4 people so much so that we had 2 HUGE doggie bags to take home.
On the side (as it is a la carte) we had their signature cream of spinach, which for me was not the highlight of the evening (too cinnamony) as the garlic mashed potatoes stole the show, and the asparagus Parmigiano wasn’t bad either especially all paired with a fabulous Red Amarone wine. Now the dessert which came out decorated with some décor courtesy of my clients that specialize in such décor was also amazingly delicious. While we tasted all the desserts, Pecan Pie, Crème Brulee, Mud Pie, and the Cheesecake. The cheesecake was by far my favorite. The best cheesecake I’ve had in a LONG time, so light and fluffy. The pecan pie was a close second. All paired with a nice Mint Verbena tea in a satin satchel.
These clients are just adorable and the dinner just delicious so it made for a great evening especially with the pleasant weather last night.

Now onto the Business Casual – a topic I will discuss at length another time…for now here is what I am rocking:
Top: Black V Blousy BANANA REPUBLIC petite shirt = $21
Bottoms: Cream Tie belt gauchos from DEGREE = $15 sale from Loehman’s
Shoes: Black STERMAX open toe micro-suede and straw wedges = $25 on sale at this cute boutique shoe store in Caesar’s Palace in Atlantic City

For lunch, outside of the ordering in from Cosi (their Signature Salad is my absolute favorite) since my clients specialize in sweetness I have gorged myself on cake, cake, cupcakes, oh and more cake. Now I feel sick…bleeech……

No comments: