Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memories of Memorial Day Distant now at work?

"Hushed Existentialist"
Today I must have been channeling The Corporate Raider's thoughts because I broke out all the sumratimes' standards:

White Eyelet Blouse: Ann Taylor Loft, $14.99
Crisp Black Linen Gouchos: Ann Taylor Loft, $14.99
Suede Espadrilles: BP by Nordstrom, $29.99 (I got these 3 years ago when I was obsessed with espadrilles and no one was selling them, now they're everywhere and this is the first time I've ever worn them)
Swarovski Crystal Bracelet: got the ingredients at Beadazzled for $9 and made it myself
Jade-like Stone Bracelet: Beadazzled, $8
Capiz Shell Earrings (not visible): $7 (with necklace, not shown)

Toes: Ballet Pink w/Guest List Gold finish, both by Maybelline



Feeling like it's sumratimes, looking like it's sumratimes, generally happy with the world and with two fun things to consume:





(nifty gifties, eh?)


“Insatiable Corporate Raider” (NYC)
It is officially the Summer in NYC. The long Memorial Day weekend has come and gone, the sea of white that rushed into the city before the weekend has started to retreat to the large Navy ship docked on the west side, the opened toe shoes are out in full fashion and street fairs have begun. On the less glamorous side of the things, the smell of dog piss mixing with horse shit and garbage piled high on sidewalks, exacerbated by the temperature rising is always a dead ringer that the summer season has begun. While I mentioned white in reference to our nation’s finest seamen, and sea women - the rule of white until after Memorial Day no longer seems to hold true, wouldn’t you say? While researching this subject matter I came across this blog and I would have to say I disagree with their stance of strict enforcing on this rule. Perhaps NYC is the exception? White is a hot winter color here, and I would have to agree with this sites response to the question which basically is to use your best judgment - plus the history they give for the “rule” is quite interesting for you history buffs.

Anyways, I digress.
Unlike the many New Yorkers that escape the city this long weekend and opt for the Jersey shore or the Hamptons I stayed at home, and did...absolutely…nothing. It was fabulous. The amount of travel I do for work, it was refreshing to not have to pack or unpack, rush anywhere, and just simply sleep in. Friday night, after FINALLY doing my nails (I found a fabulous shiny red for $1.99 at Rite Aid) I made it out only to get food. El Jefe de Musical Money and I journeyed a long 20+ block walk down to a nicely regentrified part of 10th ave. in Chelsea where a number of trendy outdoor restaurants including the Empire Diner reside. We dined on Apple, Brie& Walnut Salad and a Lamb Burger. Now, we really wanted to enjoy the night outside so while this place has great outdoor seating, the food leaves something to be desired, although the onion rings were quite tasty. Perhaps we were just hungry and cranky but this place was no Nook (which I will get to later) although it tried. The Brie in the salad was in huge chunks and the Lamb was a bit dry. What really got us here was the fact that the drinks (1 Amstel Light & 1 Margarita) were outrageously priced at upwards of $14 for both of them! So, not the best place for drinks. I recommend this place if you have time to spare, want to sit outside, want to feel trendy, and simply people watch. It’s possibly a good place for breakfast (as the Belgian waffles someone was eating looked tasty) but I personally probably will not be going back.
Saturday night the two of us met up with Ms. Queens Inspecta Lady and an old friend from college that I haven’t seen in years. We met his fiancĂ© and dined at the drink friendly Blockheads at Worldwide Plaza. Now this is a place for drinks (and maybe an OK tasting quesadilla). $3 for margaritas that leave you cool and can knock you on yo ass is a STEAL in Manhattan especially with the fabulous outdoor seating this place has and the unlimited chips and salsa. We stayed for hours.

For the margartia fest I went comfy with....
Dress: Hot Fuschia Deep V Knot Grecian style dress (Handmade by a local designer, I forgot the name)= $39 (orig. $59) from hot lil’ boutique store in Miami was a nice bday present from my Mom
Shoes: Gold & Cork semi-flats from DOLLHOUSE = $15 from that cheapo brand name shoe outlet Dallas in Cleveland (see i did my toes! and even my fingernails! so unheard of for me)
Sunglasses: Brown/Copper Aviators courtesy of El jefe = on sale at DAFFY’s for $15 (orig. $98)

On Ms. Queens Inspectah:
Top: White Deep V satiny ruffle buckle shirt with gold embellishments From HOTPOINT on Jamaica Ave. = $30
Bottoms: Dark Denim BUFFALO Jeans = onsale at Filene’s for $30 (orig. $150)
Shoes: Black Pumps from Filene’s = $25
Sunglasses: same as in my pic courtesy of El jefe
Earrings: Gold Drop Dangles on sale at JCPENNEY’s = $6
Necklace: From Ethiopia = Priceless
Seamen in the background? Perhaps also priceless?

Sunday we redeemed our tummies yet again by going to our faved spot The Nook. This is the best restaurant in Hells Kitchen and perhaps even NYC. I am a big fan. The food is simple, yet amazing and somehow always consistent. The staff is friendly as we know all of them and the music hot. This place is tiny so it’s a great place to chill bring a bottle of champagne (or wine as its BYOB) and play a game of Scrabble. Mushroom Cigars and the Egg Scrambles are what I would call their claim to fame!

After we walked about 3 mi around the city checking out the street fairs. I almost bought a nicely priced wallet at the one on 7th ave (pictured here) but they didn’t have the color I wanted! You also can’t beat the booths where all the accessories are $2 – they are fun and funky and serve the purpose of dressing up any summer outfit without spending loads of dough. I also want all new furniture but in a unique way so we headed down to the flea market on 39th street and while this one has the foot traffic its missing the “umpfh!” Not enough vendors with not enough nice stuff and the furniture guy who I like wasn’t there! They need to do something to this market – perhaps I should apply to be a vendor??

After a quick stop at the newly moved Gardening center in my hood to try and get my green thumb back, for the rest of the day I stayed home and organized. Similar to you my dear Hushed Existentialist, I too keep the labels of my clothes – I will grace you with a pic of that another time but I also collect matchboxes for every restaurant perhaps I will combine and post later. Here is a pic of my newly organized closet. I got the hangers at Ikea for cheap! I believe it was 8pk for $5 – not bad! These wooden hangers are great because they keep the shape of the clothes but aren’t as wide as traditional wooden hangers so they give you more room in confined spaces such as my NYC closet. I just need to get more as you can see I ran out. I also am a big fan of color coding types of clothes for quick locating.

As for the actual Memorial Day I opted for a rollerblading adventure, laundry and Thai food at Olieng – also DELICIOUS the papaya salad, Shrimp Massamun curry, and Mango with sticky rice hit the SPIZOT! Get that dessert while you can as mangoes only have one more month left in season!

Now that I am back at work...
Today I had to go a bit more corporate for an exec meeting.
Top: Josephine Chaus White textured Button down shirt = Courtesy of my Mom but I’m sure not more than $20
Dark Denim Blazer from H&M = $25
Bottoms: Navy Blue BANANA REPUBLIC PETITES (my new fave store) pencil skirt = $25 orig. $68
Shoes: Chocolate Brown ENZO ANGOLINI slingbacks from Macy’s = also courtesy of my Mom but these were on super sale around $20

Ok that was lengthy so I will stop. I will leave the discussion of Miss Universe to the Legal Eagle – but I must say I called it from the beginning, I knew Japan was gonna win – just thought it would be between her and Venezuela.

(P.S. - after re-reading this I realize that we may be borderline insane- ah well - par for the course)

1 comment:

Chrysalias said...

Love the blog..i'm sharing it with the world so I hope to see more posts and I luv incongnito look...