Friday, May 25, 2007

Effin Friday Finally!!!


"Hushed Existentialist" (MD)

Today is my day off and instead of staying in the entire day watching Netflix as I would have loved to do - I had to take this big exam that was four hours long :( The good news is, I got to roll out of bed and take the exam. The bad news is, it was blazing hot outside and after sitting in traffic for an hour I was not picture-friendly. Nevertheless:

Same Pants as yesterday: Army Green Khakis - Polo $17.99 (Macy's)
Mint Green Mossimo T from Target - $10
Jade-like stone bracelet from Beadazzled - $8
Green & Pink canvas belt from Gap - $2
Kenneth Cole Shades - $45 (probably my most expensive accessory purchase EVER, but so totally worth it)
Little Chinesse Slippers that remind me of my childhood - Priceless (actually $8 from Urban Outfitters - but seriously, I have been looking for these exact pair since I lost the originals when I was 4 years old.... They are not the velvet ones, they're canvas w/floral embroidery).


Oh yea, and that bruise is a remnant from my adventures with self-service shopping at Ikea.

After basically setting myself to toast in traffic on the way back from the exam today, I came straight home to pop open a tub of Edy's Nestle Crunch Dibs:


The recommended servings per container is 2.5, but I ate the whole damn thing. You do the math. Now I'm contemplating taking myself on an inaugural first date. With myself. Wish me luck!!!!

UPDATE:
I ended up taking myself out to see Waitress at the Avalon since I really wanted to see the movie and they were offering pie as a refreshment (because that tub of Dibs just wasn't enough - I had apple).



I clean up good:
Light Gray cotton dress: energie (they've re-vamped their label) got one in every color from Filene's Basement for $16.99 each
White sparkly flips: got these at Steinmart for $3.50, I kid you not. One of the best purchases ever (and if you're worried about white-soled open-toed shoes, taking a footbrush and scrubbing them with Tide w/Bleach works wonders)



I forgot to include my cute sporty little evening bag in the pic:

Puma evening clutch - $9.99 at Nordstrom Rack in LA



I wanted to keep it casual for a "first date", but still flirty and maybe even a little sexy? I don't know, with the bruise 'n all it's hard to take myself seriously.... but I did get the ego-boosting "honk!" and dangle out the window from a random truck driver when I was walking up the block, plus a mumble mumble whistle from the butcher when I stopped by the grocery store, so...... I'm pretty sure I'm locked in for a second date. Maybe dinner????

"Insatiable Corporate Raider" (NYC)
Today I am struggling – another day of hitting snooze repeatedly – carrying it.
This is mostly due to the fact that Media Masta Killah and I joined a friend from college at the Marquee to meet her new NFLing man and enjoy the night. Prior to this, however, I had a fabulous dinner in an open backyard of the restaurant Turkish Cuisine (9th btwn 44th/45th) with the “El Jefe de Musical Money.” The food here was AMAZING! We had Chicken&lamb Kebabs with Yogurt, pita, and rice + salad paired with a pair of their homemade Apple Ice Tea (absolutely REFRESHING!). The Spicy Hummus for the appetizer was truly a treat and if I may quote myself “something I will be craving on the regular.” The staff was super friendly and it seemed family owned - they loved that we loved the food and I love that. The backyard is in transition (so much more they could do with the space) but it felt like we were the only people there which was nice – quiet and still in the middle of Manhattan (especially in the midst of Fleet Week) with a fully grown tree hanging above is a rarity in this concrete jungle.

Anyways, on to the dessert - this was literally a whole NEW treat. We had these homemade chocolate and vanilla cotton candies with baklava – shown below. While the Baklava was again amazing, these cotton candies were an adventure in the mouth. They look like bizarre furballs or rolled up feathers (I know that doesn’t seem appetizing) but as you place them in your mouth they melt into a frenzy of WONDERMENT! Here is a pic with a close-up can you see what I'm talkin about.

Anywho, back to Marquee – while a nice layout (despite the fact that the tables make it hard to dance and maneuver) this often Page 6 referenced place is grossly overrated and pretentious. The DJ on the main floor left a lot to be desired with his cutting and pasting of songs with little to no flow or transition. Upstairs the DJ was mixing well and playing some hot tunes. The crowd there is the “I’m too cool for school” type which means you are like 16 with the latest threads on and stashing lots of cash getting wasted and waiting to be ‘spotted’ or you are in your mid-30’s and up with lots of cash wanting these young hot thangs. Either way, we were just not feeling it and didn't quite belong I suppose. It didn’t help that MMKillah nearly got into it a few times with the less than friendly staff and that I had to have it out with the security guard of the bathroom – I mean since WHEN is there security for a bathroom? And why does it need to be regulated velvet rope style!? It was unnecessary and a clear flaunting of unsubstantial penis power. However, being the girls that we are we had a good time.

Ok so that brings us to this morning – we were struggling because of course when we got home at 2:45am we had to stay up til 4am munching on late night food ol’ school style cracking jokes and wakin folks up. MMKillah wanted to get to work early but that clearly didn’t happen. Instead we slowly got dressed and hit up the corner bodega – the 5 Brothers Gourmet (47th/10th) – for an egg&cheese on wheat toast, a Smart water, and 2 Iced coffees – all for $6! Ya can’t beat that – I love that place AND they got cool folks running it.

It is BLAZIN outside today and while i really wanted to wear a skirt and some flips my toes leave a lot to be desired so i kept 'em covered. Here is what we pulled together today…

Top: Pink Kangaroo pocket Hooded T-shirt from PAPAYA - $7
White bra-top camisole underneath – this is old and has a hole in it so I don’t remember but its comfy and its all about comfy layers today
Bottoms: Light Green Cargo drawstrings from URBAN OUTFITTERS – on sale for $18
Shoes: Same as yesterday – rocking the gold KENNETH COLES - $9
Bag: Camo green from Target – bought this for the trip to Spain few years back – super comfy in this hotness and only around $8
Sunglasses are the usual $2 aviators from Chinatown to keep the sun out.
Of course I got the Gatorade in tow to keep hydrated.



"Media Masta Killah"(BK, NY)
Top:
Brown VP Records limited t-shirt – FREE courtesy of me and likewise it was FREE for me
Bottoms: Frankie B Jeans - $180
Bag: Turquoise Boho from COMMANDER SALAMANDER - $50
Coat in hand: Cream BEBE trench - $160
Plastic bag – free (hehe)


That’s all for now…Have a great long weekend!!!

1 comment:

Chrysalias said...

So you two are living in NYC..watch out one in BK the other in Manhattan...I LOVE the blog..you guys needed one in college. I can only imagine what's in store next week..Young, Sexy and Living in NY..i'm a fan of the blog already...- Queens lady....